Designed as a fast seaworthy cruiser
Previous names include 'Isabelle'
'Adventuress' was designed by William Fife III as a fast seaworthy cruiser. Built at William Fife & Son of Fairlie, Scotland (Fife Yard No. 718) and launched in 1924 for her first owner Norman Clark-Neill.
The Clarks were a Scottish family who made their fortune from the manufacture of weaving looms, Norman Clark-Neill, one of the heirs was an keen yachtsman who mainly participated in six-meter racing before and after the First World War. In addition to ''Adventuress', Clark Neill commissioned five other yachts from Fife. After the war, he became a member of the British Seawanhaka Cup team sailing 'Reg', a Fife built six-meter. His uncle, Kenneth Clark, was also a keen sailor and he commissioned some 25 yachts during his lifetime, including the Fife built 'Kentra' (1923).
'Adventuress' was Clark-Neill’s largest Fife design and was originally rigged as a Bermudan schooner. She was built during the winter of 1923-24 at the Fife yard and launched in spring 1924. Rumor has it that the first captain of the vessel had an affair with a guest’s wife and was shot dead aboard the vessel by the enraged husband. It has not been possible to confirm this so far but the former captain’s ghost is said to haunt the vessel. Efforts to eradicate the spirit proved futile when several Wiccans brought aboard to ”smudge” the boat (burning rosemary and sweet grass) determined that the spirit was kindly and deserved to remain aboard.
''Adventuress' was sold in the mid-1930s to a new owner who kept her in the Mediterranean and she remained there for the next forty years, during which time she was commandeered as a German patrol boat during the Second World War. She was scuttled at the entrance to the harbor at Ville Franche sur Mer at the end of the war and remained there for several years. When raised she was completely refitted as a stem head ketch, a rig that keept for the next fifty years.
During the period following the war she was renamed 'Isabelle' and had several French and Italian owners, one of whom had her based in the Mediterranean in the summer season and the Caribbean in the winter. Although her logs have been lost, she is said to have crossed the Atlantic somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 times. Host to numerous dignitaries over the years, she has been sailed by senators, one serving president and several Hollywood celebrities.
Purchased in the mid-1970s by an American, she had several owners in rapid succession before being purchased by Steve Vaitses of Clinton, Connecticut. In 2000, she was purchased by Jim Lynch of New York who restored her original name of 'Adventuress' and undertook a complete refit with the object of restoring her to as close to her original form as possible.
In 2004, Adventuress completed an extensive four-year restoration. The object of this work was to return her decks and interior accommodation to as near to their original layout as possible, taking into account the change from a schooner to ketch rig and Coast Guard certification requirements. While some consideration was given to restoring her original schooner rig, this was ultimately rejected in favor of maintaining the existing, more easily managed, ketch rig.
The first step in the process was the removal of the original copper plating allowing for inspection of the planking. The 2-inch Burmese teak planking was found to be in excellent condition. However, portions of most of her sistered sawn oak frames had suffered some deterioration over the years. Sizeable quantities of slab white oak were located from as far away as Georgia and were sawn on a ship’s saw to provide the necessary materials to replace most of the sistered frames (98 individual frames). Jamestown Distributors of Bristol, Rhode Island, USA supplied all of the bronze fasteners used in the project including some 2,800 one-half by six inch or longer silicon bronze bolts.
Repairs were also made to the oak rudder post, where some minor worm damage had occurred, to the upper portion of the stem and to the planking. New floor timbers were installed in wood or steel as original together with new bronze keel bolts. The entire hull was recaulked and the topsides resplined. A bowsprit was fitted as per the original sail plan necessitating changes to the standing and running rigging. Most of the teak deck was also replaced.
The deck structures were also restored in Burmese teak to very near their original configuration (some changes were required to satisfy Coast Guard rules). Extensive work on the deck beams was carried out to accommodate these changes and to facilitate the possibility of a subsequent conversion to the original schooner rig.
Replacement of the frames necessitated removing much of the interior of the vessel which was the result of a refit in France during the 1950s in a style that was not in keeping with an original Fife design. Over a two-year period the interior accommodation was restored to as close to her original configuration as possible.
The original Fife interior accommodation drawings served as the basis for the restoration work. In addition, time was spent studying other Fife designs to gather information on the details of the interior joinery. The restoration features woods originally used in the construction, including extensive raised mahogany paneling and a teak cabin sole. Copies of the original interior brass hardware castings were obtained from Fairlie Restorations in the UK and installed.
The engines, tanks and running gear were removed. Twin Perkins engines were replaced by a single, significantly lighter 240 horsepower Yanmar turbo diesel. A new 10kw Westerbeke generator was installed. All tanks were replaced or upgraded and a new freshwater system was installed as well the entire electrical and other mechanical systems.
CABINS - 2009
2 x double cabins, one with en suite shower
2 x twin aft cabins
Main saloon with gimballed dining table and settees in tufted off white Ultra Leather and deckhouse settees in tufted royal blue Ultra Suede.
The main saloon seats eight comfortably for dining while drinks may be enjoyed in the deckhouse.
MAIN DECK - 2009
Shower with hot and cold water at cockpit on deck. Large lazarette forward of helm and small one aft. Day head.
Guests: 6 x guests in 2 x double cabins, 1 x twin
Crew: 4 x berths
GALLEY & LAUNDRY EQUIPMENT - 2009
Three burner gimballed propane stove Force 10 with USCG APPROVED shut down.
Stainless steel basin
Built-in coffee maker "˜SPACEMAKER"™
SEAFROST BD SYSTEM COMPRESSOR and plate with raw water pump.
3 x BABY BLAKES marine toilets.
Fresh Water: 2 x tanks. each of 85 gallons.
Water Maker: Allcraft H20 gallons 240 v stainless steel, plumbed to main engine heat exchanger 2 x Polypropylene water tank.
Water System: Wiesbo Propex Fresh Water System with expanding tool for upgrade.
Grey Water: 2 x tanks of approximately 20 gallons each.
Black Water: Tank with Sealand T-Series macerator and ultra quiet sump on main gray water tank.
Jensen CD400m stereo receiver and CD player with Sony CDX-555RF ten CD-changer.
ENGINE & ELECTRICAL - 2009
Engine: Yanmar 6LP-DTE 240 hp Turbo Diesel installed during the 2000-2004 restoration.
Engine hours: 425 hrs, October 2006.
Propulsion: 2½ stainless steel shaft.
Propellers: One 26 Maxprop Classic feathering propeller
Fuel: 2 x aluminium tanks of 145 gallons each
Generators & Electricity:
Generator: Westerbeke 10BTDA 10 Kw, 60 HZ with sound shield.
Generator Hours: 475 hrs, October 2006
Electricity: 24 volts.
Shore Power: 50 amperes with 50 cord & ABB main breaker.
Batteries: 8 x Rolls Marine Batteries.
Generator Start: Power take off unit from main engine
Alternator/s: Balmar Series 97 high output marine alternator. Charger/s: Freedom 2500 charger for house bank, Truecharge 40 plus charger for separate engine and generator starter batteries, Maxcharge MC-624 regulator.
Converter: Newmal Series 32, 12 volts
All wiring throughout (except focsle) is contained in semi-flexible conduit with nine distributed load centres at key locations throughout vessel. Numerous spare wire in place for future upgrades. Paneltronics custom-made panel with numerous spare breakers.
SAILS - 2009
Main Sail: 1 x By Jasper & Bailey 1996 (unused for 4 seasons)
Staysail: 1 x By Jasper & Bailey 1996 (unused for 4 seasons
Mizzen: 1 x By Jasper & Bailey 2003, is equipped to add mizzen staysail
Jib: 1 x By Jasper & Bailey 2003
NAVIGATION - 2009
Echo Sounder: Raymarine ST 40 Bidata combination depth/speed at helm.
Radar: Furuno 1832, 24 nm at helm.
DGPS: Garmin GPS Map 185.
VHF: Uniden UM 525.
Weems & Plath brass bell and barometer
SAFETY EQUIPMENT - 2009
Power take off unit, main engine with crash pump.
2 x Rule 3700 gph bilge pump.
1 x Fireboy halon fire suppression system with manual override at helm.
1 x Bilge pump operation indicator light at helm.
1 x Kahlenberg Signal Mate 24 volt compressor w/ accumulator tank and chromed horns.
33 x Adult USCG type III personal flotation devices (PFD)
4 x Child USCG type III PFDs.
1 x ACR 406 EPIRB.
12 x person buoyant apparatus with strobe.
SOURCES AND ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
All © copyrights and ™ trademarks are acknowledged
© www.classicboatindex.com (2008 - 2010)
(Last updated on: 2009-08-05 21:57:09 Summary of last update: history updated)